Sunday 19 September 2010

UK Day 18 – Edinburgh

I’d booked for two nights in Edinburgh, so we could have a full day of sight-seeing here before moving on. This is not really enough time, but we were under time constraints now. Daniel had to be back in Manchester Friday night, ready for departure on Saturday morning.
After breakfast we set off into town, using the 3 GBP all-day-all-over ticket (it had a different name, but that’s what it was all about!). We got off the bus on Princes street and our first stop was The Georgian House, since I wanted to make use of my National Trust of Scotland pass that I’d bought. Daniel wasn’t quite that interested in this and wanted to post his cards, so he went to the post box, while I went inside and looked around. This was a big mistake, because then we both wasted a few hours trying to find each other again! We finally did, by the use of Facebook - next time I won’t bother leaving messages anywhere else!
Reunited, I then I dragged Daniel down the Royal Mile and Calton Hill before heading back to Princes Street and then the Royal Mile again and the back of the University to catch the bus back….eventually.
Edinburgh is a beautiful, beautiful city. I took a record (at least for this trip!) 478 photos today. There’s so many lovely classical type buildings! I couldn’t resist taking some on the bus trip into town:
IMG_9926IMG_9938
IMG_9937
We got off near the Scott Memorial and walked up towards the Georgian House, taking in the views across the Princes Street Gardens, and along Princes Street itself:
IMG_9947IMG_9951
IMG_9951 IMG_9958
There were a lot of barricades up all over Edinburgh, for the Papal Visit happening the next day. This ruined many a good photo, I think, but there’s nothing to be done. We finally reached Charlotte Square and the Georgian House(s):
IMG_9961IMG_9964
IMG_9967  
This is where Daniel and I lost sight of each other. I waited around for a while, but since we only had the one day in Edinburgh, I decided to continue on by myself, after leaving messages at both the Georgian House and our accommodation. I headed up towards Edinburgh Castle, photographing as I went:
IMG_9976IMG_9978
IMG_9985IMG_9991
IMG_9996IMG_0004    
I investigated some alleys and courts out the back, too. Some were quite pretty even:
IMG_0006IMG_0007
The Hub was once a Church before falling into disuse. It was turned into a restaurant and performance venue recently. Of course I had lunch there later on :-) :
IMG_0011
Right now though, I was headed to the castle:
IMG_0015IMG_0023
Edinburgh Castle. Admission was very expensive, I thought, at 14 GBP and no discount for students. I saw much nicer places for half the price. But you don’t go to Edinburgh without visiting the castle, I guess. There was a lot of maintenance being done here too, along with setting up or dismantling a lot of seating:
IMG_0024   IMG_0036
IMG_0061IMG_0063
IMG_0072IMG_0078
   IMG_0049
Outstanding views from the top here, some of them through cannon portals:
IMG_0081 IMG_0082
IMG_0083   IMG_0084
IMG_0091IMG_0094
I took quite a few panoramic shots which you’ll have to wait for til I get home and can put them together. This bloke was just standing around:
IMG_0114 IMG_0120
IMG_0126IMG_0134
After a couple of hundred photos, I left the castle and headed down the Royal Mile (its actual name – I always thought it was just known as that), stopping for lunch at The Hub and to see if I can contact Daniel again – this time by Facebook. I got a response from Juliane almost straight away, but she couldn’t help locate him either. I passed by some pretty buildings and alleys again:
IMG_0164IMG_0168
IMG_0170   IMG_0173
Including the beautiful St Giles. They wanted money (2 GBP) to photograph the inside, which I didn’t think was particularly worth it, though the outside was:
IMG_0172 
By then Daniel had found an internet cafe and contacted me on facebook, which my clever phone pinged me with. I got onto eBuddy on my phone and chatted with him to organise meeting back up again. Yay for Facebook and eBuddy and Android!
So Daniel caught a bus from where he was and we met back up to continue our exploration. The Royal Mile was worth seeing:
IMG_0184IMG_0186
IMG_0190IMG_0194
IMG_0195IMG_0200
Some of the buildings were a bit more modern:
IMG_0215 IMG_0208       
Unfortunately, Holyrood Palace at the end of the Mile was closed for several days (I assume because of the Queen’s and Pope’s visits), so I was only able to get a few distant shots. There was quite the crowd in front of the Palace because the Queen was rumoured to be arriving within the next 4 hours.
 IMG_0230 IMG_0231 
Then we headed towards Calton Hill:
IMG_0237 IMG_0240
We climbed up the hill for some more pretty buildings and fantastic views:
IMG_0246 IMG_0247
IMG_0255 IMG_0263
As you can see, despite the gorgeous sunshine, it was damn cold:
IMG_0286IMG_0293
IMG_0303IMG_0310
We headed back into town now, past yet more beautiful buildings down onto Princes Street, to buy a CD that I’d heard at one of the shops and really loved. We found it at HMV, but then carried on back across to Royal Mile near St Giles, to see if I could find the shop with the cheap Laphroaig Whiskey I’d seen. It was closed, dammit. But we kept wandering and had an ale in one of the pubs around here before going in search of dinner (Sudanese today) and then catching the bus back to our B&B.
IMG_0343IMG_0355
IMG_0368IMG_0376
IMG_0381IMG_0397
IMG_0409