Saturday 23 June 2012

Bad Homburg

My uncle asked me if I was interested in going to Bad Homburg, to see its palace and old town section, as well as its parks etc. He had me at castle of course!

We had a leisurely breakfast at home first, and then my uncle, aunt and I drove into Bad Homburg. This is another bath town like Wiesbaden and Bad Vilbel (I was there last time), so it has a lot of gorgeous villas and beautiful parks, along with its palace and old churches. Apparently, like Wiesbaden, a lot of russian royalty used to visit here.

We parked in the carpark near the palace park and walked through said park in the direction of the palace. There were a lot of beautiful weeping willows:

Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg with Lebanese Cedar Schlosspark Bad Homburg Lebanese Cedar in the Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad Homburg Schlosspark Bad HomburgSchlosspark Bad Homburg 

My aunt and uncle then had a seat (they both had sore feet), while I wandered off to photograph the old church of the Redeemer. It is so beautiful! It reminds me of the Cathedral in Aachen, and somewhat of a russian orthodox church. In any case, it didn't have the plain presence of a standard lutheran or protestant chuch:

Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeember, Bad Homburg Church of the Redeemer, Bad Homburg

Then it was off through the central shopping area of the town, which is car-free. Very nice, and apparently you can get everything you need here. My aunt says that she would love to live there because everything is so handy. However, for the price of their very nice house where they live now, they wouldn't get more than a flat and that wouldn't be in the centre of the town!

It was market day, so there were stalls everywhere again. There are still a few beautiful old half-timbered houses about in this newer part of town:

Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Market day in Bad Homburg Bad Homburg  Bad Homburg

My aunt needed to buy some cards so I was reading the cards and little cutting boards with slogans outside. This one amused me a lot - translation is "Is that art or can we get rid of it?":

Bad Homburg

We had a nice lunch at a restaurant/delicatessen, and then wandered into the old town section:

Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg   Bad Homburg Bad Homburg Bad Homburg

The robot-letter-box made from old pipes and I don’t know what else was cute, and I loved the poppies…

someone's letterbox in Bad Homburgpoppies in Bad Homburg

We wandered back to the car and then drove to the old russian orthodox church near another park, so that I could take some photos. Unfortunately, it was closed, so I couldn't go inside:

Russian Orthodox All Saints Church, Bad Homburg Russian Orthodox All Saints Church, Bad Homburg

We headed home and I was starting to feel a bit off so went to bed. It wasn't long and I was violently, horribly sick. I went to bed and hoped I wouldn't be up all night. Fortunately not, though attempting breakfast the next day was a mistake resulting in more of the same. I spent most of the day sleeping on the sofa and watching some shows I'd brought with me.