Tuesday 19 June 2012

Iceland Day 7 – National Museum

Today was my last full day in Iceland. Bob and Laurie were leaving around 2pm to get their flight back to the States. We had decided to go to the pool this morning at 8am. Bob and Laurie are avid swimmers, so they swam their mile of laps in the indoor pool, while I swam a few in the outdoor pool and then had a nice soak in the hot tub again. After our swim, we headed back for a light breakfast at the Town House and then headed off into town to the National Museum.

The Museum allowed photographs (without flash), so I took advantage:

National Museum - Thor National Museum National Museum National Museum - 9th century brooches National Museum - brooches National Museum National Museum National Museum - icelandic game set National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum - Icelandic Couture - hand made National Museum - Icelandic Couture - hand made National Museum - Icelandic Couture - hand made National Museum  National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum - made from whalebone National Museum - made from whale bone National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum National Museum

This one reminded me of Game of Thrones – it’s a calendar device though nobody knows how it works anymore (and there’s bits missing):

National Museum - calendar gadget National Museum - calendar gadget

And some more exhibits I liked:

National Museum National Museum National Museum -  wedding dress National Museum National Museum - Sigurdur the Painter (self-portrait) National Museum National Museum National Museum

Next stop was lunch at the Sea Baron, which had been recommended to me by Johann and one of the people on yesterday's tour. I ordered the lobster soup, for which they're famous, and also couldn't resist trying the minke whale meat, which I ordered to share with Bob and Laurie. The soup was great and the whale looked and tasted exactly like beef:

Lunch at the Sea Baron in the old harbour - delicious Lobster soup with big bits of lobster minke whale shishkebab - looks, feels and tastes exactly like beef Sea Baron  Bob, Laurie and Bianca at the Sea Baron The Sea Baron Restaurant

We had a quick stroll through the old harbour:

the old harbour the old harbour

And then drove back to the Town House so that Bob and Laurie could leave. Harpa had made us some crepes to have before they left, but since Bob and Laurie were still full from lunch, it was left up to me to eat them. She'd even made quite a few with diabetic jam just for me! She's so nice!

I spent the rest of the day working on my blog and had my last meal in Iceland at the Glo restaurant again, because it is just so yummy! And healthy! I highly recommend it!

My impression of Iceland: I would very much like to come again, but only if someone came with me and we could hire a car and travel around. Would need more time than one week, too. I would most definitely stay with Harpa in her Town House again - she was so welcoming and nice, I feel like I have a friend in Iceland!

I didn’t find Iceland as expensive as all that – perhaps because the Aussie dollar is so strong, but I found restaurant meals to be cheaper than equivalent meals at home. I also didn’t feel like I was being ripped off at every opportunity – the prices didn’t seem to go up for the tourists unlike some places I’ve been. The people I met, admittedly not that many Icelanders, were friendly and helpful. And I liked the fact that you could buy (almost) anything with a credit card, including a $2 cup of coffee!