Saturday 25 September 2010

UK Day 26 – Dover

The day started off looking like it might be fine, but it turned to wet rather too soon. It was not a good day. I couldn’t find the bus to get to the castle (to get 25% off the ticket price), so ended up having to hike up the hill, taking photos of the odd building. There’s not so many nice ones – probably got bombed in WWII:

IMG_1403 IMG_1404

And as if hiking up the hill to the castle isn’t punishment enough, I had to pay the full student price of over 11 GBP for admission.

IMG_1397

I didn’t think it was worth it, and if I’d been able to fill the day otherwise, I would’ve not gone. If you’re into military stuff, the tunnel systems in the cliff would’ve been interesting. I only went on the tour because it was included in the price.

IMG_1415IMG_1406

Some of the nice buildings on the site were completely empty. I thought they should turn them into some sort of museum and let people look at them:

IMG_1421 IMG_1423

The tower display inside was very nice though. It must’ve been very recently refurbished with new furniture etc in the style of the age it was built. They even lit fires in some of the rooms, so it even smelt (somewhat) authentic. The furniture being new meant that they let you walk up to it and take photos etc, so that was nice:

IMG_1528 IMG_1431

IMG_1436IMG_1439

IMG_1449IMG_1453

IMG_1461IMG_1473

IMG_1475IMG_1477

IMG_1480IMG_1485    

The views from the castle over the sea and harbour, and all around the country and town were pretty good too.

IMG_1493IMG_1495

IMG_1497IMG_1499

The roman lighthouse was interesting because it was so very old. The church next to it, St Mary in Castro was pretty plain and had obviously been repaired a few times!:

IMG_1519 IMG_1524

IMG_1535 IMG_1538

The weather actually cleared up for a short while and I chatted to a lady walking her dog and she told me she’s been coming here in every season for years and today’s was the best weather she’d ever experienced up here! Wow! The sunshine only lasted about 30 minutes, though. At least it wasn’t too terribly windy.

IMG_1547IMG_1554

IMG_1569IMG_1572

IMG_1583IMG_1586    

I was going to walk to the cliffs for more photos, but it started to seriously rain, so I skipped it and went into town to the museum instead. It was charging admission of 3 GBP for tourists (locals got in free), which was unusual for a museum. But since it was raining and I had nothing else to do, I went in. They had a 3500 year old boat in their display (bronze age), which must be pretty famous – probably the reason for the charge. The film on how they dug it up and preserved it was pretty interesting.

IMG_1589

Afterwards I made the mistake of having ‘cream tea’ i.e. scone and tea across the square (Dickens something I think it is). It was closing at 4.30pm(!!), so I only just made it in. Something was not right with it – I don’t know if the scones were funny or the cream was off or what. Nobody else seemed to notice though, so I ate half and left the rest, feeling ripped off again. The day just didn’t go my way today!

IMG_1588 

So I went back to my room and worked on my blog. Adam came up at one stage and told me he’d go and get the extra blanket I’d requested (I’d been cold in the early hours of the morning), after giving me a hug. Maybe he could tell I’d had a shit day. I spent the evening planning what to see the next few days. I think the rain is settling in and will disrupt my plans. We’ll see.