Sunday 16 September 2012

Seventeen Seventy and Agnes Water Day 1

This was a rather last-minute trip away. Donald decided he wanted to go away somewhere, so I looked for somewhere (preferable new to  me!) and booked it on Thursday, and we took off on Sunday morning. The trip was supposed to take 6 hours and 37 minutes according to Google Maps. It took us more like 9 and a half hours by the time we’d stopped to visit with friends along the way, have coffee, fuel up and pit stops in general.

We arrived just after 5pm and quickly had a shower and got changed and headed out for dinner, by way of sunset photo session. 1770 is one of the very few places in Queensland where the sun sets on the sea, so I wanted to take advantage tonight, since rain is forecast for tomorrow and the day after. I’m not very happy with the photos, but that’s only because I was too lazy to go to the car to get the tripod:

Sunset at 1770Sunset at 1770Sunset at 1770

We thought of having dinner overlooking the sunset at 1770, at The Tree pub/restaurant there. However, when we saw the prices (all over $30 for a main), we decided to go eat at Bustards which is only about 100m up the road from our accommodation at Agnes Water Beach Club. Bustards was recommended by the staff at the Beach Club and also online when I was reading about where to go and where to eat, etc. It was a lot cheaper than at 1770, and Donald’s lamb rump ($27) was wonderful. I had the blue salmon daily special for $26, but it was undercooked and was only a piece of fish on top of salad, so not terribly filling. I had to send it back to be cooked for me, which they did without fuss and offered me dessert, but I didn’t want that.

We headed back to the apartment for a rest after a full day’s travelling. I’m looking forward to tomorrow!