Tuesday 17 July 2012

Potsdam

 

Wilhelmshorst - Family Reunion

I arrived in Berlin on Wednesday, 11th July and got picked up from Potsdam Station, since there was maintenance going on which would have required me changing trains twice more to get to the closest station to my aunt's place. I settled in and started helping with the Family Reunion Party preparations and didn't do any proper sight-seeing until Sunday. The party was fun - it was really great to see people again. There were 3 children I'd never met (second cousins) and cousins wives I got to know a little better. I even got Petra into a google hangout to chat with some of the uncles and cousins.

There's no photos from me for the party, though I have some from an uncle and a cousin, and there may well be more. (ETA: a second-cousin has uploaded some. Ask me for the link.)

An afternoon in Potsdam

I finally got out to do a little sight-seeing on Sunday afternoon. My aunt and uncle from Hamburg wanted to do a bit of sight-seeing in Potsdam, including the Neues Palais, so I tagged along. I'd seen the outside before on my trips to Potsdam, though not the last time I was there. However, I'd never been inside. Again, no photos allowed, inside though admission was a hefty 14 Euro. My uncle started feeling a bit claustrophobic from the masses of people and no fresh air, so he left about half way through and waited outside for us. I took a few photos of the Palais and its surrounding buildings (for the servants, apparently):

Neues Palais Neues Palais Neues Palais Neues Palais Neues Palais Neues Palais

We then headed back to the car, walking through Sans Souci park:

Park Sans Souci Park Sans Souci Park Sans Souci Park Sans Souci Park Sans SouciPark Sans Souci Park Sans Souci  Park Sans Souci Park Sans Souci

Dinner was at the Movenpick restaurant close by. It's got a nice Wintergarden in which we had dinner. I enjoyed my salmon with sesame seeds and some interesting vegies:

Dinner at the Movenpick Restaurant near Park Sans Souci

Monday was taken up with the last of the family leaving and the after-effects of a big party. I also planned what I would be doing for the next 3 days, since I intended to get the 72 hour Berlin Welcome Card. And started working on my blog again!